Economic Update - February 2014
Here is the latest monthly economic update, with comments on the latest Paymark retail trade spending data and Ministy of Business, Innovation and Employment domestic and international tourists spending data for January.
Strong growth in international and domestic electronic card spending in the Manawatu region due to very strong growth in spending in Palmerston North:
- International card retail spending in Palmerston North increased by 17% in January (compared with January 2013) while overall international card spending in New Zealand increased by 12%
- Domestic card retail spending in Palmerston North increased by 8.1% in January (compared with January 2013) while overall domestic card spending in New Zealand increased by 5.8%
- Domestic card visitor spending in Palmerston North increased by 9.6% in January (compared with January 2013) while overall domestic card visitor spending in New Zealand increased by 1.1%
- Growth in accommodation spending in Palmerston North is contributing to the strong growth rate in electronic card spending, with a 45% increase in international card spending on accommodation in Palmerston North in January and a 22% increase in domestic card spending.
Vision Manawatu February Newsletter
Vison Manawatu December Newsletter
This month we report on our victory with Business Mentors New Zealand, Karen our regional co-ordinator hits some pretty impressive numbers with her first full quarterly report. We link you to the FoodHQ Bites newsletter, profile a High Performance Work Initiative business Stallion Plastics, and announce the 2014 Westpac Manawatu Business Awards return, and more..
Economic Update - December 2013
Here is the economic update for December
- International card (debit and credit card) spending in Palmerston North in November increased by 31% from November 2012. International card spending in New Zealand declined by 2%.
- Domestic card retail spending in the Manawatu region increased by 8.4% in November. Palmerston North increased by 9.1% while Manawatu District increased by 5.1%. Domestic card spending in New Zealand increased by 7.3%.
- Net overseas migration in the Manawatu region improved from a loss of 304 people in the year to November 2012 to a net gain of 67 people in the year to November 2013, an improvement of 371 people over the 12 month period.
- Manawatu District experienced a net loss of 100 people in the year to November 2013 while Palmerston North experienced a net gain of 167 people.
Vision Manawatu Annual Report 2013
Read the Vision Manawatu Annual Report here!
Page 1 of 2
We're proud to support...
Manawatu Chamber of Commerce
Any business community needs a strong voice to speak on their behalf and this is what the Chamber offers in the Manawatu.
Vision Manawatu has enjoyed a strong working relationship with the Chamber and looks forward to continuing to work together for the benefit of local businesses.
Westpac Manawatu Business Awards
There's no doubting we are an enterprising bunch.
Our region is packed with creative, innovative businesses and individuals whose imagination and determination to succeed make Manawatu the fantastic region that it is. The Westpac Manawatu Business Awards recognise and celebrate the achievements of our region's outstanding business people.
FoodHQ is New Zealand's international centre for collaborative food research. We generate value for the global food industry through innovation across the value chain. The FoodHQ super campus being developed in Palmerston North will give current and future global customers one-door access to the very best in New Zealand food innovation. The collaborative approach creates a faster, easier way for food companies to work with the FoodHQ family.
Vision Manawatu provides staff and administrative support to the Manawatu Defence Hub.
Defence is a key sector for our region and will become even more so in future.
The Defence Hub provides businesses that wish to engage with defence forces a membership based organisation to provide assistance.
The Student City Awards recognise Palmerston North's most vibrant, talented and dedicated students.
The awards celebrate student success and involvement in clubs, societies, student events and the arts, be it theatre, dance, music or visual.
The awards ceremony acknowledges students for their artistic and cultural contributions to student life in Palmerston North.